Job ID: 522787
The Process Engineer delivers specialized process engineering expertise to projects in the company’s vegetable oil business. He or she develops creative engineering plans and strategies that provide tailor-made solutions for the implementation of manufacturing processes that meet our customers’ unique needs and provides technical process and design support to our customers across our entire North American client base. The Process Engineer is an integral member of cross-functional teams for entire projects. Collaborating with other internal departments and company global offices, he or she is involved in all aspects of project development and execution from concept to design, implementation and start-up, including sales support, project scope, cost and schedule, engineering execution, manufacturing of proprietary equipment and commissioning, quality assurance and problem resolution.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Process Engineer applies knowledge of engineering principles and practices to independently and innovatively complete a variety of tasks requiring the application of standard design engineering techniques including PFD development, calculating mass and energy balances, developing P&ID’s, line sizing, writing process control sequences and operating manuals. He or she specifies and selects equipment for various processes or systems and assists Purchasing in obtaining quotes for and procuring required items. The Process Engineer takes a lead role in working with other departments, suppliers and customers to ensure efficient process design and implementation. He or she performs customer site visits to assist with process startups, oversees pre-startup testing, trouble-shoots the process after operating and provides other assistance as needed to comply with quality standards, safety and environmental regulations and to meet or exceed customer satisfaction.
1. Provides technical expertise and applies knowledge of engineering principles and practices to develop and implement innovative technical solutions that meet customers’ unique needs. Utilizes standard engineering practices as much as possible in execution of projects; stays up-to-date with latest technology to apply as applicable.
2. Works on more complex tasks within the job function than the Junior Process Engineer, generally independently, and is occasionally directed in several aspects of the work.
3. Provides technical support to Sales team to assist with customer visits; develops process systems pricing for engineering proposal preparation.
4. Collaborates with the Project Manager to define project scope.
5. Develops creative engineering plans and strategies that provide tailor-made solutions for the implementation of manufacturing processes: creates technical sheets, develops PFD’s, marks up drawings in Blue Beam, calculates mass and energy balances, develops P&ID’s, performs line sizing, writes process and control sequences, develops operating manuals.
6. Develops draft layout and equipment drawings and technical sheets for installation into AutoCad by others.
7. Specifies and selects equipment for various processes or systems such as pumps, mixers, agitators, powder feeders, filters, heat exchangers, tanks, vessels, columns, reactors; assists Purchasing in obtaining quotes for and procuring required items.
8. Performs customer site visits to assist with process startups, oversees pre-startup testing, checks installation progress and creates punch lists, trouble-shoots the process after operating, and provides other assistance as needed to guarantee customer satisfaction.
9. Independently acts quickly to determine problems and makes decisions to solve them. Provides subject matter expertise, skills, recommendations, guidance and leadership as appropriate to help identify, manage and mitigate areas of concern in projects to ensure all customer needs are met.
10. Communicates with customers and suppliers and takes a leadership role in interfacing with other internal departments and global offices to facilitate meeting overall project goals (ie process performance guarantees, reliability, project change orders) and to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget, meeting or exceeding customer expectations.
11. Works to ensure that engineering efforts meet all applicable safety and environmental codes and standards for plant locations.
12. Adheres to all applicable company and global policies and procedures and any other quality or regulatory requirements.
13. Collaborates with Spare Parts Manager in sales of new and past projects’ spare parts.
14. May mentor and provide coaching and guidance to less senior process engineers; may identify training needs and assist in training and development of others’ skills required for the successful execution and delivery of projects.
15. Establishes working relationships of trust and respect; collaborates and communicates with colleagues, customers and others and ensures that all stakeholders are kept informed as appropriate to build and promote effective peer and work relationships, meet mutual goals and objectives
16. Participates in regular Project Meetings with all Engineering staff including Sales and Finance as applicable to review the status of project tasks from team members working on all currently active projects, detect and intervene early and as appropriate if problems arise
17. Builds and promotes strong, long-lasting customer relationships by partnering with them and understanding their needs; actively upholds a superior level of customer service
18. Fosters an atmosphere of open communication, respect, mutual support, flexibility, continuous learning, humility, good humor, and commitment to business goals and customer needs to fulfill the company vision.
1. Sound understanding and good knowledge of engineering and chemistry principles, chemical process design and engineering techniques, and their creative application on-the-job is required.
2. Excellent problem solving, analytical, critical thinking, organizational, planning and project management skills necessary and must be able to handle several tasks concurrently
3. Must be customer focused with demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships and foster trust and cooperation among co-workers, customers and suppliers
4. Strong business acumen required; ability to think strategically and critically, influence decisions and actions, drive for results to meet or exceed objectives required
5. Self-starter with ability to work and achieve goals independently and efficiently as well as be a strong collaborative partner necessary
6. Excellent interpersonal effectiveness and communication skills (effective listening, written and oral, telephone and face-to-face) are required to mentor less senior process engineers and interface across departments, with co-workers, customers and suppliers
7. English fluency required; proficiency in Spanish a plus
8. Proficiency in technical writing required.
9. Ability to read and interpret P&ID and ability to read vessel and layout drawings necessary
10. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, Power Point required; knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics and Blue Beam AX necessary; familiarity with CIS and Drawing Archive System preferred
11. Ability and willingness to travel up to 50% necessary
BS Degree (chemical OR mechanical or related field)
1. Minimum 2 years of demonstrated engineering experience with increasing responsibility in process design, preferably in liquids and solids processing, required.
2. Project Management experience a plus.
3. Must possess “hands-on” knowledge of implementing engineering projects from concept through completion in the vegetable oil seed processing industry
4. Working knowledge of and experience in edible oil and fats processing industry, understanding of industry compliance guidelines and expectations required.